Re: Scope of :hover

From: John Lewis <lewi0371@mrs.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:47:23 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

Ernest wrote on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 at 9:04:47 PM:

> John Lewis wrote:

>> Ernest wrote on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 at 7:06:54 PM:

>>> I presume that the intention is to provide a mechanism whereby it
>>> is easy to determine which row and column a cell belongs to.
>>> However, how does the use of :hover to do this achieve this when
>>> the page is printed and interactive pseudo-classes such as :hover
>>> are not available?
>>
>> It doesn't. Nor does it do so for links or any other type of element.

> Which was my point, I was asking a rhetorical question there.

Sorry, I should have noticed that. I still don't get what you're
implying about his example.

> I'll grant that given how :hover has tended to be implemented, it
> may be necessary to use some other pseudo-class to achieve the
> needed capability to address only interactive elements.

I agree. Trying to retrofit :hover for that purpose will cause
headaches for authors. With a new pseudo-class for interactive
elements, there is no legacy behavior to contend with, and :hover can
be used as a more generic pseudo-class. There are definitely two
different desired behaviors, so two pseudo-classes make perfect sense.

--
John Lewis