Re: "inherit"

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:13:06 +1000 (EST)
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> Sure, but I think the number of CSS authors who know the initial value
> of 'vertical-align' or 'overflow' without looking at the specification
> is rather small.

It is unlikely that such developers will be using vertical-align at all,
giving them no need to reset it to its initial value.

> >You could not make a similar argument for the "inherit" keyword, which is
> >genuinely useful even for properties which inherit by default, for forcing
> >inheritance in the presence of other rules in the cascade.
>
> Just specify the value you want.

You want the value from the parent, whatever it may be. Depends on the
document, unlike initial, which is fixed regardless of the document. Hence
inherit gives functionality that would not otherwise be achievable,
whereas initial does not.

Michael

--
YesLogic Prince prints XML!