Re: "inherit"

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:04:00 +1000 (EST)
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> 'default' was a proposal that would be like 'inherit' on inherited
> properties and like 'initial' on non-inherited ones.

Can that not be a recommendation? I would hate to have to explain the
difference between these:

    font-weight: normal
    font-weight: initial
    font-weight: inherit
    font-weight: default

Keyword overload, and the "default" in particular has a distinctly
unhelpful meaning. I would rather have default be used for what initial is
currently used for, but if initial is already too entrenched in CSS
terminology perhaps that is not possible.

YesLogic Prince prints XML!