Re: "inherit"

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:44:52 +1000 (EST)
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> We'd also have to list 'initial' and 'attr()' and possibly 'default'. It
> would basically require us to republish every module every time we changed
> the list of magical keywords, something that isn't really acceptable.

Why has the "initial" value been added to CSS3? It does not seem to offer
additional functionality in the way that "inherit" does. For example:

    font-size: initial

can always be replaced by the equivalent rule:

    font-size: medium

and so on for all other properties. What is the "default" value? And how
does it differ from "initial"?

Michael

--
YesLogic Prince prints XML!