Re: The Web as a Visual Medium

On Friday, Jul 25, 2003, at 05:34 Europe/London, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> You're free to view things as you wish, but please keep in mind that
> saying "the Web is a visual medium" is vastly restrictive in
> conceptual terms.  By drawing an artificial box around what "the
> Web is" -- one which does NOT exist in reality -- you are limiting
> what your conception of the Web may turn out to be.

I see it more as redressing the balance.

> Also keep in mind that there are many people who are regular Web
> users for whom HTML is _not_ a visual experience.  For example,
> Web users who are blind and use screen readers.  Their experience
> is just as valid an expression of the Web as yours, except that
> your definition excludes their experiences.

I'm sorry, I do not forget these things. I'm an experienced HTML+CSS
developer and I do work with these issues every day.

> Also keep in mind that there are some browsers -- such as lynx
> and it's variants -- for which headings are NOT displayed in
> larger text.

I use them myself. They use other visual techniques, such as bold text,
underlining, alignment or indentation instead.

> By saying "the Web is a visual medium", instead of saying "the Web
> is an information medium and the primary way most people access
> that information is visually", you run the serious risk of
> losing track of all that the Web could potentially be -- as well
> as who could use it.

I disagree. I don't seek to limit anybody's expression or the expansion
of the web. I just seek to remind everybody on this list that visual
styling _is_ a priority, certainly not one that should exclude all
others, but one that should enjoy level pegging with other issues, such
as speed of implementation or semantic purity.

Ben

(q)	Ben Godfrey?
(a)	Web Developer and Designer
	See http://aftnn.org/ for details