Re: [CSS21] body { padding: 8px; } HTML40 sample stylesheet

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:01:09 -0700
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 03:10 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Afternoon wrote:
>>> Besides, why _should_ they be alike?
>> So that two people, without user styles, looking at a styled page see
>> the same page to the greatest extent.
>
> And this is desirable exactly why? What's the point of using different
> browsers if they need to do just the same?

In fact, it's probably not really all that desirable at all, as Jukka
is saying here.  So basically I am "me too"ing Jukka, and also adding
that we need to keep in mind accessibility concerns and a wide
diversity of browsers.

Mandating that a style page is "the same page" if the appearance looks
the same in multiple browsers is simply wrong, and misunderstands the
Web.

--K

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com