Re: Will behaviors be added to CSS?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:23:21 -0500
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org

Bert Bos wrote:
> It is clear that we need to control what happens on link
> traversal: replace the current document, expand in place, pop-up a
> temporary window, open a tab in the background...

To me, it is clear that page authors should not be able to control
whether a page comes up in a window or a tab.

For historical reasons, I have no choice but to cede page authors some
control over whether on a link click the new page replaces the old one
or is opened in a new viewing area, and this distinction makes some
sense.  But specifying what sort of new viewing area the page wants is
not acceptable to me as a user and is fragile from a general perspective
(what happens when someone devises a new method of creating a new
viewing area?  Are we going to change the spec some more?).

I suspect and hope that this sentence was just an example of what is
being considered and not necessarily representative of the actual
direction the specification would take....