Re: Last Call comments for css3-ui

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:49:02 +1000 (EST)
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: Bert Bos <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>

> 3.1.1 :default
> 3.1.2 :valid and :invalid

I think these pseudo-class names are unfortunate, as they suggest
alternative meanings to their specific use with form controls.

For example, *:valid seems to suggest "all valid elements", but in fact it
means elements that represent form controls whose contents are currently
valid. It might be prudent in the long run to avoid such name collisions
by using :form(valid) or some other mechanism.

This seems more relevant given the CSS3 Selectors candidate recommendation
which introduces so many structural pseudo-classes that truly do apply to
the *element* itself, such as :root, :nth-child, :empty, etc.

If a new pseudo-class was introduced to match empty form controls, such as
text boxes with no content, calling it :empty would clash, while calling
it :form(empty) would not, as well as being more descriptive.

(I have raised this point in the past regarding :visited / :link(visited),
but that example is already too entrenched to remove).

Best regards,

Michael Day

--
YesLogic Prince prints XML!