Re: [CSS21] body { padding: 8px; } HTML40 sample stylesheet

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Todd Fahrner wrote:

> The sample sheet in CSS1 is more prescriptive than descriptive of
> common UA behavior. The px values in CSS2 are simply descriptive of
> what Mosaic-derivative UAs use(d).
- -
> > And moving back to a small value like
> > 1.12 is strange too.
>
> That is also based on empirical measurement of legacy behavior, and
> does not represent a recommendation.

So how should we understand the words "Developers are encouraged to use it
as a default style sheet in their implementations."?

Note the words "use it as...". Not "use it as basis for...", which is
actually how I have read it until now. So it was worse than I realized.