Re: interpretation of float model - Mozilla vs Opera & IE

Runaround flowing for absolutely positioned elements would be extremely
useful and would simplify the production of pages. For example, I often
create blocks with sizes measured in ems so that I can tell how big
they will be even as the user changes their font sizing preference. I
would rather leave the blocks to size themselves though and not have to
guess at where the bottom edge, for example, might end up. If, for
example, I wanted to position three columns against the bottom edge of
a flexible header, absolute runaround would help that a lot. There are
also many other situations where it would be helpful.

A fourth way for grid layout, one that allows flexible reconfiguration
for different viewports, should be powerful enough to allow users to
get around many of the problems of absolute positioning, of which the
lack of runaround flowing is one of the biggest. I think Chris's idea
of creating a hybrid layout technique _broadly similar to_ (but not a
replacement or extension of) floats is inspired and I would very much
like to see more ideas as to how this might be specified.

Ben

On Monday, Jul 21, 2003, at 23:23 Europe/London, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

>> This example is a perfect reason for why I'm
>> interested in this discussion. I would like a CSS
>> syntax that can do this:
>
> While we're on the subject of what CSS can't do:
> http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FooterBeneathSidebar
>
> It seems to me the solution to that would be to allow
> position:absolute blocks to influence flow, ie a
> "runaround" property.

> _
> Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
> Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

(q)	Ben Godfrey?
(a)	Web Developer and Designer
	See http://aftnn.org/ for details