Re: interpretation of float model - Mozilla vs Opera & IE

From: Chris Moschini <cmoschini@myrealbox.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:43:08 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: dbaron@dbaron.org

> From: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
>
> http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/css/box/float/008.html

This example is a perfect reason for why I'm interested in this discussion. I would like a CSS syntax that can do this:

HTML:
box
box
box

Display in "wide" Viewport (high-res browser):
[ ][ ][ ]

Display in thinner Viewport:
[][]
[  ]

Display in very thin Viewport (cell phone):
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

There is presently no way to do this short of a very elaborate hack in any browser. Float brings you closest, but a DOM hack is required to really pull it off. Tables don't work because they force the 3 Columns to reside on the same Row no matter what.

Unless I'm missing something... .

-Chris "SoopahMan" Moschini
http://hiveminds.info/
http://soopahman.com/