Re: "display: image;" for CSS styling of images embedded in XML documents?

From: Mikko Rantalainen <mira@st.jyu.fi>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:48:57 +0300
To: www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
>
>>>You can't use a pseudo-class, because that makes the cascade dependent on
>>>the layout, which is a definite no-no.
>>
>>I don't really understand the problem with :broken pseudo-class.
>
>>Something along the lines:
>>object { content: url(attr(data)); }
>>object:broken { content: normal; }
>
> At step 4, you don't know that the image is broken, so you apply the first
> rule. But then you find it is broken, and so apply the second. But now,
> it's no longer broken, so you apply the first again.

OK, it's the more general problem then. How about:

span { position: relative; top: 0; }
span:hover { top: 100%; }

In that case, hovering the mouse moves the element and causes the
element be no longer be hovered -- and the element moves back to it's
original position and it is again hovered, right? I don't see how
:broken is different except that it's much easier to accidentally hit
such problems with :broken.

Would it be somehow possible to modify rendered content without removing
the :broken status? Perhaps adding some invisible content that would be
regarded as :broken?

--
Mikko