Re: Center DIV

From: (wrong string) šper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:15:30 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "Charles Kendrick" <charles@isomorphic.com>

Charles Kendrick <charles@isomorphic.com>:

> HTML, CSS and DOM can be appropriate tools for *both* document
> construction and web application creation.

You'll need a scripting language along with DOM. I don't know what you
understand as "web applications", probably basically the use of the HTML
elements for forms in combination with a serverside or, in lesser useful
cases, a clientside scripting language.

> The fact that the same language and tools and the same skillset
> work for both purposes is a huge benefit - not a problem.

I've yet to see a web application developer to mark up a document correctly,
though.

> If the W3C working groups continue to define the web browser
> as strictly a document viewer,

The W3C doesn't define web browsers. It merely specifies how its standards
should be interpreted.

> and to deflect all requests for functionality that does not
> fit into the strict notion of a media-independent document,

Why doesn't my watch include a mobile phone and an MP3 player? Because its
job is to tell me time and date, nothing more. It does its job perfectly as
do the other two things I carry around.

Do you know XForms, XQuery etc.?

> it is very likely that a proprietary technology will
> ultimately be used for web applications,

For many cases that would be the right choice indeed.

P.S.: Full quoting at bottom is the opposite of useful.