Re: Center DIV

From: Afternoon <afternoon@uk2.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 16:47:09 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

> Yes to both. The WG intends to address this.

I apologise, I was not aware of any activities to solve the problems
discussed. Thanks to the WG for taking the time to look at this. I
didn't mean to troll the list, I just want to see things moving
forwards.

>    body { position: center; }

This would be great for the simple case of the single block centre
aligned to the page.

For aligning blocks within blocks macro properties, I think something
like the following was suggested a couple of weeks back and seems ideal
to me:

block-align: center	=	margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;
block-align: left		=	margin-left:0; margin-right:auto;
block-align: right		=	margin-left:auto; margin-right:0;

How could the block being aligned be instructed to shrink wrap it's
contents? Is this the intent of the proposed "intrinsic" and
"min-instrinsic" keywords for the width property. If so, excellent.
This also goes some way to decrease the problem of vertical/horizontal
asymmetry.

Cheers,

Ben

(q)	Ben Godfrey?