Re: Center DIV

From: J. King <mtknight@dark-phantasy.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:07:02 -0400
To: "www-style.w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 05:31:19 -0400 (EDT), Mikko Rantalainen <mira@cc.jyu.fi>
wrote:

> ( I'd rather have vertical-align property to apply to all block level
> elements instead of just to table cells or margin: auto to center
> vertically in addition to horizontal centering. Messing with 4 properties
> (display for both elements, vertical align for containing block and
> margin for contained element) just to center both vertically and
> horizontally is too much. )

margin:auto not centering vertically has always seemed to me like a
limitation that was overlooked because of the continuous nature of HTML.
Though there are some situations when vertical centering is useful, they're
relatively few (outside of table cells).  However, I would judge this to be
a mistake, since CSS is used to style more than continuous HTML, and such a
behaviour would be very useful for paged media in certain circumstances
(projection slides come to mind).  I had always assumed that this would be
rectified, but it seems CSS3 still adheres (more or less) to the same
behaviour.

--
J.