Re: Center DIV

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:16:04 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> David, why can't a tool be used for multiple purposes?  Why must there be a highly specific tool for
> each of these uses?

Basically because that is how all computing standards degenerate.  New
standards are created to do a specific job well, then because people
are unablble to cope with more than one tool, get forced to do the
same job as many other tools, so they all end up doing the same jobs in
incompatible ways.

If a single tool was appropriate, there would be no HTML as we would
all be using Word or PDF.  In particular, PDF better fits the desire
of many designers for tight control of visual presentation.

The most obvious, to me, degeneration in the web, apart from the fact
that people can't distinguish between HTML, CSS, Ecmascript, DON, and
even Flash, and call them all HTML, is that people do not use HTTP at
all, trying to duplicate some features into HTML, where they only work
for HTML, not for other media types.