Pseudo Element for Strings

From: (wrong string) äper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:34:23 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Hi!

I've been thinking about this and came to the conclusion that I don't really
favor it, but anyhow want to know what others think:

It happens occasionally that you want to style certain letters and strings,
but without adding semantics, e.g. color all vowels red, highlight search
results or fancy style a reappearing company name. This can't be done with
CSS alone, yet.

I hereby suggest (not propose) a pseudo element which selects all strings
(or single characters) that match its argument: '::string(arg)'.

As far as I understand it, this probably would seriously decrease rendering
speed, in a much greater amount than e.g. ::first-line does already. That is
why support for it should be optional for conformant UAs IMHO.
/Maybe/ you could speed this up with more specialized ::word() and
::letter() or ::char().

Christoph Päper