Styling 'html' versus 'body'

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:19:20 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

Tantek Çelik wrote to <www-html@w3.org> on 9 January 2003 in
"Proposed additions to XHTML 1.0 Appendix C (was Re: HTML or XHTML  - why do you use it?)"
(<mid:BA4193BE.1ED63%tantek@cs.stanford.edu>):

> On 1/6/03 6:33 PM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
[...]
>>  style the html element instead of the body element
>
> Agreed, and this is new.  This should be added to section C.13.
>
> <ins class="proposed">
> Authors should style the html element instead of the body element.
> </ins>

Why is this approach advisable?

--
[I presume that the issue is more a style sheet issue than an HTML
issue, and have accordingly directed the discussion to www-style. If

Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>