Re: Another view (sorry) on XBL and behaviours

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 17:29:27 +0000 (GMT)
To: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Shelby Moore wrote:

> Let the world build these conveniences in a layer above the UA, which can
> be shared, so that we remove the monopoly (and slowness) of same UA teams.
>
> XSLT is a layer to do that.

Unfortunately, XSLT cannot (to my knowledge):

   * Allow the user to individually override bindings without
     completely overriding the author bindings.

   * Allow dynamic changes to the DOM to be reflected by the binding
     dynamically.

   * Bind event handlers and styles to an element without affecting
     the original DOM.

   * Allow individual elements to have bindings changed dynamically.

   * Allow multiple bindings to be added to the same element
     simultaneously.

   * Allow new functions to be defined in the scope of the bindings
     without _any_ pollution of the document namespace.

   * Bind stylesheets to subtrees of the document without affecting
     any other elements.

   * Bind event handlers and styles to an element from the style
     layer.

The first few are very, very important. The last few less so.