Re: XBL is (mostly) W3C redundant, and CSS is wrong W3C layer for semantic behavior *markup

Shelby wrote on Sunday, January 5, 2003 at 11:55:59 AM:

> Wrong. CSS can do non-conforming per an exact quote from CSS spec!!

> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#display-prop

> "Conforming HTML user agents may ignore the 'display' property."

> Thus CSS "display" controls semantics because it admits it is not
> conforming (in this case).

I disagree, for a very simple reason: CSS does not say *why* UAs may
ignore the display property.

You assume it's because doing so would cause them to be nonconforming.
I assume it's because UAs that have gone to the trouble of
implementing all of CSS except the display property should be allowed
to call themselves conforming UAs. We're both equally wrong to assume
anything. At face value, the sentence is a grant of power to HTML UAs,
and nothing more.

[Since there was so much of your reply I agreed to, instead of copying
it and writing "I agree" sixteen times, I simply deleted those parts
and only responded to the one part I disagree with.]

--
John