Re: XBL is (mostly) W3C redundant, and CSS is wrong W3C layer for semantic behavior *markup

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 12:14:34 -0600
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, John Lewis <lewi0371@mrs.umn.edu>, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>

At 04:21 PM 1/5/2003 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
>DH> This seems to be the crucial point.  Does XBL have any more impact on
>DH> semantics than CSS already does?
>
>No, it doesn't.

Wrong.  Because CSS states that its non-conforming portions are optional for
conforming UAs.  So a UA can be CSS conforming and HTML conforming:

======
CSS can do non-conforming per an exact quote from CSS spec!!

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#display-prop

"Conforming HTML user agents may ignore the 'display' property."
=======

Whereas, XBL is unable to isolate its portions which allow non-conformance.  So
there is no way to be both XBL and HTML conforming at the same time.

That is in a NUTSHELL, what my point has been all along.  Only now, have I been
able to state it so succinctly.

[...]

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Jan/0087.html
(follow all cited references within link above also)

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Jan/0092.html

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Jan/0094.html

[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Jan/0101.html

-Shelby Moore