Re: XBL is (mostly) W3C redundant, and CSS is wrong W3C layer for semantic behavior *markup*

Shelby Moore wrote:
>>>You and Ian were apparently confusing this with CSS attributes.
>>
>>AFAIK, CSS does not have "attributes" by any technical definition.
>>If you are using an English definition, then it is unclear what
>>you're talking about: that CSS is a plain-text (as opposed to
>>binary) format language is one of its attributes.
>
> You delete the paragraph above that where I wrote that I was referring to
> the class attribute of a markup element.
 >
 > Perhaps you are just pointing out that Ian should not have interpreted it
 > as CSS attribute.  I do not know what Ian was thinking, but I know that I
 > was referrring to class attribute of a markup element.  Grammatically
 > there was no other correct interpretation of what I wrote.  Then again
 > semantics of English is not entirely defined by grammar specifications! :-)

If you mean "class attribute" then write "class attribute".

If you mean "CSS property" then write "CSS property".

If you mean "CSS selector" then write "CSS selector".

If you are going to complain that I do not understand your
grammar, please check your grammar first.

  | Grammatically my sentence means that the attributes used
  | to "select". Use any grammatical reference for English
  | language. Those would be the "class" attribute of a markup
  | element.

  The first "sentence" is not a sentence; it's (English)
  syntax is incorrect. Also, the antecedent of "Those" in the
  third paragraph is ambiguous, i.e. it is not clear what
  "Those" refers to.

  (IIRC, this is all covered by Warriner's English Grammar
   and Composition. Although, The Elements of Style would
   probably be more appropriate at this point.)

This seems to be the sentence you're talking about [1]:
  "CSS selectors allows one to select elements of markup
   based on attributes which are not related to *semantics*."

Nowhere does "CSS attribute" appear in that sentence.

*Nowhere* do I see any sentence that equates 'CSS attribute'
with 'class attribute'. I only see a sentence in which you
erroneously substitute 'CSS attribute' for 'CSS property':
  "In any case, I explained that even CSS attributes (e.g.
   font of paragraph) do not deal with semantics."

[1] In actuality, CSS allows one to select elements of
      markup based on both attributes which are and attributes
      which are not related to semantics.

~fantasai