Re: XBL is (mostly) W3C redundant, and CSS is wrong W3C layer for semantic behavior *markup*

From: John Lewis <lewi0371@mrs.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 06:38:49 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org

Shelby wrote on Wednesday, January 1, 2003 at 4:36:36 PM:

> Note the *KEY* point that class selector is not __semantic___
> markup.

Selectors aren't markup at all. After this sentence, I honestly
understood very little of your reply. I'll reply to what I do
understand.

> The class selector is a way to markup "style sheets" and for
> "general purpose processing by UA".

No, the class selector, a part of CSS, is a way to select HTML
elements with certain classes. The class attribute, a part of HTML, is
a way to mark up *text* for "style sheets" and "general purpose
processing." So, class attributes are markup, and class selectors are
a way of selecting markup, in CSS, for styling purposes. Thus class
selectors are much like type selectors, which consist of an element
name (e.g., p).

> According to HTML 4.01 spec quoted, those are both layers that are
> below (and separable, e.g. orthogonal) to semantic markup layer. If
> you make the semantic binding combined with the class selector
> layer, then you have merged semantic layer with a layer that it
> supposed to be orthogonal and separable from semantics.

I don't know what the "semantic markup layer" is. Searching the full
text of the HTML 4.01 spec only found "player".

--
John