What should happen with auto margins?

From: Tom Gilder <tom@tom.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:44:22 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

If I have an element set to a width wider than the viewport and
margin-left/right set to auto, how should the element display?

For a quick example, see http://tom.me.uk/2003/2/css-margin-auto.html.

Currently both IE6 and Opera 7 don't allow the element to go off to
the left, but Mozilla does. In my opinion the former option is a lot
more sensible, but does it violate the specification?

In both cases the margins seem to get the same value (as the specs
demand): just with Op7 and IE6 that value is zero.

Thanks
--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/