Re: Font Style Elements

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:52:35 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-style@w3.org

> Clearly, style sheet alternatives exist for the B, I, BIG, SMALL,

B and I are controversial, but the argument is that there are cases where
being bold or italic is critical, e.g. in transcribing a legal document
where the text refers to italic or bold. Similar arguments apply to BIG
and SMALL, but I don't remember any campaigns to remove them.  SMALL
tends to match small print in legal documents.

* and TT elements.  Due to this fact, and the opening sentence for the

I think that TT is considered to represent computer output, not
specifically mono-spaced fonts.

There's also an issue on I that there are many conventional uses of
italic that aren't emphasis or addresses.  I tend to like the idea
that these are generalisations of CITE, but some argue that CITE
should be restricted to a narrower meaning.

[ Single line paragraph reformatted to reasonable line lengths. ]