Cross Browser issues

From: Andrew Michael Eberbach <ameberba@student.math.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:18:35 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org

Hello,
I'm currently trying to develop a site that has a decent layout but that
avoids table hacks and uses pure(ish) CSS. The thing that I've realized is
that there is a tremendous amount of difference between the way each major
browser (I'm ignoring ns 4.x as an abomination) handles the same code. Now
I realize that browsers, being non-trivial applications, will have bugs.
But what if these things fall within the spec? Or just their
interpretation of the spec?
So my real questions are:
1) What would you suggest I do to get clean cross-browser layout
2) Why is there no reference implementation on which other browsers could
judge their behavior? I mean someone could come up with a clever way of
abstracting the spec and implementing it in SVG or such with built in
debugging tools. For example, having a way to tell the distance that the
browser thinks is between two elements (ie the computed values for width,
height).

Oh, the browsers I'm tageting are IE 5+, Opera 7+, Mozilla 1.2+.

Thanks,
Andrew Eberbach