Re: Should we adapt WYSIWYG in CSS?

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:31:36 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-style@w3.org

This is basically the structuralist-presentationalist argument, which is
empirically unwinnable.  However taking one particular point.

> The historical web as an information library only, is outdated.

I think there is behind this a fallacy that the progression was from
non-WYSIWYG to WYSIWYG, whereas, the radical part of the original web
was actually a move to reject WYSIWYG, which long predated HTML.

I'd also argue that you shouldn't use "web" to refer to sites which are
not active parts of the web, expecting incoming links from search engines,
but rarely linking out themselves.  I think the true web sites are
information library ones, and what are popularly called web sites are
actually the information resources that the web itself was trying to
locate, and typically weren't in HTML.