A why on inline rendering

From: Staffan Mhln <staffan.mahlen@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:01:11 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Hi,
I'd like to know why non-replaced inline rendering works the way it does. The archives have many interesting discussions on how it is done, but i failed to find explanations on why.

To try and clarify my questions somewhat; what is the advantage of having non-replaced inline nodes height dependant on font-height rather than children height (that is, including margin/padding/border etc)? Further, what is the advantage of having line-boxes not always being as high as the contents within them?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated,
 /Staffan