Re: WD-CSS21-20020802 section 8, "Box model", substantive comments

Ian Hickson wrote to <www-style@w3.org> on 16 November 2002 in "Re:
WD-CSS21-20020802 section 8, "Box model", substantive comments"
(<mid:Pine.LNX.4.21.0211161217560.12577-100000@dhalsim.dreamhost.com>),
explaining about a passage in the CSS2.1 specification:

>>     Notably for HTML, user agents may render borders
>>     for certain elements (e.g., buttons, menus, etc.)
>>     differently than for "ordinary" elements.

[...]
> It's a grant, and it's because the borders provided by CSS are totally
> inadequate to render borders that look like native controls.

Well, my inclination would be to shrug and say that conformant
implementations must adhere to the CSS box model, not to operating system
interface guidelines. Given that the Working Group does not share my
inclination, a revision is nevertheless needed. The passage quoted affects
conformance but is too open. The specification needs to specify exactly
which elements confer the permission to deviate from the box model. As it
stands, an implementor could claim that 'p' and 'div' elements are the
"certain elements" mentioned in the specification.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>