Re: font sizes

On 2/22/03 1:20 PM, "Sigurd Lerstad" <sigler@bredband.no> wrote:

>> Realizing the shortcomings of the sample sheet's account, and upon
>> studying early CSS implementations with horror, I revisited the subject
>> in 1999, and wrote this:
>> <http://style.cleverchimp.com/font_size_intervals/altintervals.html>,
>> which I think speaks to your remaining questions. The font-size: .75em
>> = xx-small = h6 cases [should?] obtain when the base or user size is
>
> Very informative, I will read it more closely later.
>

>> Note that current versions of Explorer correctly map "medium" to the
>> default/user size when in "strict" rendering mode (DOCTYPE-sniffed at
>> the moment).
>
> This is what I have at the beginning (and is also what www.w3.org has)
>
> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
>   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
>
> And I have IE 6 and Opera 7. The default font-size seems to be 'small'. What
> am I doing wrong then?

Including a superfluous ?xml declaration that serves no function but to make
the file larger.

 http://www.tantek.com/XHTML/Test/minimal.html#withorwithoutxmlprolog

Why that should affect font sizes (and really, quirks mode), I have no idea.

> However Netscape 7 seems to be correct.

If you share a URL for your example we might be able to see how other
implementations treat it as well.

> There's nothing wrong with my test page, the main page of www.w3.org also
> behaves wrong in IE and Opera.

Just tried www.w3.org in IE6 and it looked reasonable.  Which CSS properties