Re: CSS Namespace (error in spec?)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Chris Lilley wrote:

> CSS3 module: Syntax
> W3C Working Draft, 31 May 2002
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-syntax-20020531 (member only)
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-syntax (404 not found)
>
> err... has this *ever* been published?

The latest released version of the CSS syntax is in CSS2.x.

Apart from the introduction of @namespace, and the formalisation of the
-vnd-extension convention, there hasn't actually been much of a change
since CSS1.

The CSS3 Syntax module will hopefully include a comprehensive grammar.
This is a huge undertaking, and is not really a priority for the working
group. I wouldn't be surprised if Syntax was one of the last CSS3 modules
to be published.

> And why does a Candidate Recommendation refer to a document that is at
> pre-first-WD stage?

It doesn't. The W3C Selectors spec doesn't depend on the CSS stylesheet
syntax beyond the selectors grammar. In particular, the declaration
mechanism for namespaces is independent of the selector syntax.

For example, one could envisage it being used like this:

   <foo xmnls:bar="http://namespace.example/">
    <selector>bar|title > *|* > bar|*</selector>
   </foo>

...where the Selector inherits the namespace declarations from the XML
around it.