Re: position, z-index and stacking context

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:48:54 -0500
To: Kang Jeong-Hee <Keizi@mail.co.kr>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> > z-index only applies to positioned content to start with.
>
> pardon?

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-z-index

  Applies to:  positioned elements

CSS2.1 says the same thing.

"positioned elements" in this context means "anything with position not
static".

> and relative position may be problem, as well as fixed one;
> out-of-flow position make overlapping among elements.
> so style have to define which element is front and other is back
> in that situation clearly.

It's completely well-defined by the z-ordering description in the spec, as far
as I can tell....

Boris
--
We are all agreed that your theory is crazy.  The
question which divides us is whether it is crazy enough