absolute position, z-index and stacking context

From: Kang Jeong-Hee <Keizi@mail.co.kr>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:31:18 +0900
To: www-style@w3.org

Hi.

newbie to this list. beg your pardon when I miss a thing. :)

libgnomecanvas is a canvas library has support for layered items.
http://developer.gnome.or.kr/doc/API/libgnomecanvas/ is reference online.

GnomeCanvasGroup manage a group of GnomeCanvasItems.
the list of  items in a group stored in linked-list.
two APIs; raise and lower make the linked-list rearranged
and invoke redraw API from rearraged list.

this may compatible to CSS axis model, I suppose.
but I have some problem on implementing absolute position and z-index ordering.

1. what happen to z-index value when absolutely positioned?
element of absolute position is more front than other plain elements, right?
but http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#positioning-scheme
have no explicit comment on relationship between z-index.

2. which z-index for sibling elements?
if a root node has three leafs, which z-index value given to the leafs?
root is 0 for z-index, right? then leafs are 1, or 0?

3. what the stacking context is meaning for exactly?
I don't understand what exacly stacking context is.. :(

thx.