Re: : in CSS

Chris Lilley wrote:
> @namespace foo url(http://www.w3.org/2000/svg);
> foo|svg { fill: purple }
>
> Not that this will match all occurrences of the svg element in the SVG
> namespace regardless of whether they use s:, svg: foobar: or nothing
> as their prefix.

Just to clarify, that "Not" there is really "Note" :)

> The alternative that people might have considered trying, svg\:svg is
> bogus and harmful, because it pretends that the whole string is one
> local name and because it makes assumptions about what the namespace
> prefix is.

Note that it would be *theoretically* possible given a document conforming to
XML 1.0 but not to the namespaces rec to have an element the name of which would
contain a colon. In that case I guess that foo\:bar would be the right way to do
it. I'd think however that anyone foolish enough to use such a vocabulary may be
considered to get what they deserve if implementations fail to style it.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/