comments on Selectors

From: Brant Langer Gurganus <brantgurganus2001@cherokeescouting.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:35:26 -0500
To: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

    Universal Selector

    * The first sentence is ambiguous.  "The universal selector, written
      as an asterisk, represents ...".  The current text might lead
      somebody to believe the following selector is valid
      asterisk.school instead of *.school or .school.
    * The recommendation to use teh * instead the implied needs to be
      supported.  From my understanding, explicitly including the *
      under current implementations takes longer for matching to the
      correct element and breaks compatibility with CSS1-compliant user

Looking at the stylesheet, I see the following suggestions:
a.noxref:link and a.noxref:visited should just be :link.noxref and
:visited.noxref.  Same applies to the rest of the rules.

In the W3C-CR.css file, a:active should be :link:active,
:visited:active, otherwise, clicking a <a name=""> element will make the
style get applied which is undesirable.

Brant Langer Gurganus

If "Actions speak louder than words," how is that "The pen is mightier than the sword."?