Re: Color module comments (WD-css3-color-20020418)

Tantek Çelik writes:

> However, I do not think that this was the intent of the CSS1 specification
> (perhaps the authors wish to clarify), nor does the CSS validator.

The way I remember it, we only wanted to allow the 16 color names that
HTML defined, and no others. We had explicit requests from
implementers to keep the list short, because even with clever
compression, it still implied a risk that an extra memory chip would
be needed in some device that was meant to remain cheap. (We were
talking about wearable Java devices, e.g.)

Maybe we weren't consistent in the wording, but the intention was
definitely that 'color: christmas-red' is exactly as wrong as
'font-style: warped'. It is a valid identifier, and thus it may become
correct in some not-yet-existing level of CSS, but currently it isn't
and should be ignored (as per the definition of "ignore" in CSS).

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA