Re: Rules for breaking at inline boundaries?

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 12:35:30 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

David Hyatt wrote:

> What happens when I put left/right borders/margins/padding on the
> spans?  Visually they're going to look distinct now.  Do I still treat
> them as a single run?

Yes. The word breaking behavior shouldn't change just because
margin > 0.

Suppose "Dave" was the heading of a page. You could create a
ransom-letter effect by putting a border around each letter
and specifying different fonts for each. This doesn't mean
each letter of "Dave" should be treated as an individual word.

~fantasai