Re: CSS and 'tabs'?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:46:09 +1100
To: www-style@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:
>>The other difference would be that text that exceeds the width to the
>>next tab stop and causes the next field to skip to the one after, would
>

> That would seem to me to be an argument againt tab stop based layout.
>
> Tab stops are really a technical solution to the problem of doing
> layout on a mechanical typewriter.
>
> As all ready noted, the browser developers rejected them in favour
> of tables, by sidelining HTML 3.0 and producing what had to be reverse
> engineered into HTML 3.2.

   I thought of a place where using tables, or other markup may be
inappropriate to use as a substitute for tabs.  When marking up a
section of code, within <code> or <blockcode> for XHTML, it is common
for many authors to use tabs for indentation.  Many editors also reduce
the spacing for tabs to 4 spaces, instead of the default 8 spaces.  It
would be nice if CSS had a way to at least be able to set the default
tab width for such cases.

CYA
...Lachy!