RE: Quick question about display property

I presume you want the list markers for some reason.

Using the ::before pseudo-element and a counter should achieve
what you want, without any need for an inline-list-item display value.
There is really no need for list-item in CSS3, except that it does
make generating nested list markers more convenient.  For an
inline list tho, it'll either need to generate extra content besides
the marker in a language sensitive way, or use something other
than a HTML-like list structure.  Because of this, trying to create
a CSS shortcut for inline lists would not be a good idea IMO.

/* Example CSS to provide for inlining an HTML <ol> lists
   in a mixed English/French document */

ol.inline {
  display: inline;
  counter-reset: inline-list
}
ol.inline li {
  display: inline;
  counter-increment: inline-list
}
ol.inline li::before {
  content: counter(inline-list) ". "
}
ol.inline li::after {
  content: ", "
}
ol.inline li:nth-last-child(2)::after {
  content: ", & "
}
ol.inline li:nth-last-child(2):first-child::after {
  content " & "
}
ol.inline:lang(en) li:nth-last-child(2)::after {
  content: ", and "
}
ol.inline:lang(en) li:nth-last-child(2):first-child::after {
  content " and "
}
ol.inline:lang(fr) li:nth-last-child(2)::after {
  content: ", et "
}
ol.inline:lang(fr) li:nth-last-child(2):first-child::after {
  content: " et "
}
ol.inline li:last-child::after{
  content: ""