Re: UTF-8 signature / BOM in CSS

From: François Yergeau <francois@yergeau.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 21:16:53 -0500 (EST)
To: ernestcline@mindspring.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>

Ernest Cline a écrit  :
> Making stuff that was acceptable earlier
> unacceptable should only be done when there is a compelling
> reason to do so.  Other than a theological debate over whether it is
> a character, I see no reason to do so, and that reason is not compelling
> to me.

Nor to me.  But a much stronger reason for wanting U+FEFF excluded from
identifiers is that it is now deprecated in Unicode, because of the
ambiguity of its role as a BOM or a ZWNBSP.  Unicode has introduced
U+2060 to play the latter role and recommends to use it exclusively.
That's about as much a Good Idea as equating the BOM and ZWNBSP was a
Bad Idea, and it would be nice if CSS could take heed.

Regards,

--
François