Re: [CSS3] Content to appear twice

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 11:27:09 -0600
To: "Matthias P. Wuerfl" <tri-tra@trullala.de>, www-style@w3.org

Matthias P. Wuerfl wrote:
> My Idea was to have an "original" and a "copy". Of course those things
> have to deal with the original. Sorry, but i don't know DOM good enough
> to understand the problem.

The problem is that the DOM allows querying the location of an element
on the page.  If the element is located in multiple spots, what should
the UA answer in response to such a query?

There are also selection issues.  If I have the same div displayed in
two places and I select some of the text in it, is it shown selected in
both copies of the DIV?   In many current implementations it would be,
since they just use DOM ranges for selection.

> Spoken from an authors point of view: Display-Property allows to display
> elements 0 times and 1 time. Why not 2 times, 3 times,...?

Because those same authors demand access to information that is
impossible to provide (is not well defined) when an element is displayed
more than once.

It really sounds like what you want is just to use cloneNode as
appropriate....

-Boris