Re: media queries

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:41:02 +0000 (UTC)
To: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, fantasai wrote:

>>>Is my understanding correct that this basically requires a complete
>>>reprocessing of all the stylesheets and recalculating computed properties
>>>for all elements every time you resize the window? (disregarding
>>>optimizations)
>>
>> Yes, but this is effectively the case anyway, since the 'width' of the
>> root element is dependent on the viewport width typically.
>
> Changing the width of the root element doesn't require *reresolving*
> all style. It only requires a reflow. So it's not the case anyway.

The question specifically said "disregarding optimisations".

If you include optimisations, then you rarely have to do a reresolve even
in the media queries case since most of the time the stylesheet won't
actually be changing.

This case is quite similar to the :hover case; moving the mouse
potentially does a reresolve in much the same way as this case.