Re: UTF-8 signature / BOM in CSS

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:47:08 -0800
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org, w3c-css-wg@w3.org, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

Richard Ishida wrote to <mailto:www-international@w3.org>,
<mailto:w3c-css-wg@w3.org>, and <mailto:w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org> on 2
December 2003 in "RE: UTF-8 signature / BOM in CSS"
(<mid:005301c3b8e4$1d862250$6501a8c0@w3c40upc3ma3j2>):

> I wonder whether CSS can introduce a change to CSS2.1 at this stage to
> clarify that the BOM - particularly any UTF-8 signature - should not be
> considered part of the following text.

I'd like to see such a revision made.

CSS specifications should mandate a preparation phase for CSS
consumption. In this phase, a CSS engine would strip an initial BOM, if
present, and strip all noncharacters. After this phase, a clean stream
of Unicode characters gets passed to the tokenizer; parsing proceeds as
specified in the grammar.

By the way, what UTF-8 signatures exist besides U+FEFF?

--
Etan Wexler.
(Sorry about the character munging in my original message. And sorry