[w3c] Usage of CSS pseudo classes

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:42:53 +0100 (MET)
To: web-human@w3.org
Cc: www-style@w3.org, www-qa@w3.org

I noticed that the W3C uses CSS pseudo-classes for at least active states
without using any specific selector (see [1], there also several other cases I
didn't list here, e.g. embedded styles in [2]; I encountered most of them in
technical documents):

    :active { color: #ff0000; }

This consequently causes e.g. Mozilla user-agents to highlight each (active)
element in red; is this intended, or a mistake (as I presume)? -- Since I
encountered feedback from irritated visitors yet (using my W3C translations), I
fixed this on my Web site (by using an element selector since these
pseudo-classes only seem to be intended to highlight active links).

Again, is this meant or not? And by the way, since various W3C documents
seem to use CSS in an inconsequent manner (some use embedded, some external CSS,
where some are located in the document folder, others in a central
location), wouldn't this be easier to maintain when there are as few CSS files as
possible being all located centrally (and thus accounting for one of CSS'
purposes and advantages)?

All the best,
 Jens.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-ruby-20010531/style.css