pseudo-selectors

From: Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:29:34 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

is it too late to suggest pseudo-element and class
selectors?
Going by what I see in practice, I have a couple of
ideas.

1. ::interior pseudo-element
the contents of the element.

The motivation behind this is all the HTML pages that
use
 <h1><span>heading text</span></h1>

because they want to apply background / border styling
to just the text and not a full-width box.
this pesudo-element would allow:
 h1::interior
to select that text instead of the <span> element.

2. :between pseudo-class
selects a fictional box between all successive
occurences of the class.

eg:
 h3:between
would create several fictional DIV boxes each like
this:
 <h3>...</h3><DIV (fictional)>
 </DIV><h3>...</h3>

Yahoo! Plus