Re: Columns and other layouts

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:24:41 +1000 (EST)
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Ben Godfrey <afternoon@uk2.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> So far, though, nobody has suggested any way of expressing the "simple"
> constraints that Coises gave in his e-mail. The truth is that these are
> actually incredibly complicated, both to specify and implement, and
> without concrete proposals it is unlikely they will ever find their way
> into any CSS spec. I have yet to even see a list of _requirements_ for
> such a feature, in fact -- and I don't know where I would start if I had
> to write one myself.

What about Constraint CSS? [1]

It seems that a constraint based model would be useful, not just for
implementing the kind of features that Coises was describing, but for
implementing *existing* CSS layout features such as table column sizing.
Definitely worth a thought.

[1]	Constraint Cascading Style Sheets for the Web
	http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/gjb/papers/css-uist99.pdf

Michael Day

YesLogic Pty. Ltd.