Re: ID selector via attribute?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 05:03:54 -0700 (PDT)
To: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Michael Day wrote:

>> This would require the :matches() pseudo-class as well, as in:
>>
>>    label:matches(# /for/ :focus) { font-weight: bold; }
>
> Do you have the URL handy for your proposal of the :matches pseudo-class?

It is a proposal that has evolved over the years based on feedback from
www-style posters.

The most complete proposal I could find is at the end of:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002May/0037.html
(Search for "updated".)

This post lists several examples of :matches() and its alternatives:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002May/0018.html

An earlier (earliest?) version of the proposal can be found in:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Nov/0241.html

None of these exactly represent what I would propose if I were to be
writing a proposal for CSS4 Selectors, but then I'm not entirely sure what
that would be myself.