Re: @page { size: A4 }

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 03:53:07 +0200
To: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach Michael Day:

 > This is a proposal for an extension to the page size property to take
 > named paper sizes in addition to lengths, to make it easier for users to
 > specify standard paper sizes without resorting to a ruler.
 >
 > Syntax:
 >
 > @page { size: identifier1 [identifier2] }
 >
 > identifier1 is the case-insensitive name for a standard paper size.
 > http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html has a suitable list of
 > standard paper size names and dimensions, for example:
 >
 >  A4 : 210mm x 297mm
 >  A5 : 148mm x 210mm

I have some sympathy for the proposal, and I think the "A4" value was
part of the proposal for the "size" property at some point. It was
removed based on feedback from a major printer manufacturer who said
there are lots of different systems and conventions for naming paper
sizes worldwide.

-h&kon
              Håkon Wium Lie                          cto °þe®ª