Re: Scrollbars In The Box Model

--- Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> Between border and padding is generally recognised
> as being the best
> place. The specs are unlikely to give normative text
> for this, because we
> (the working group) want to avoid requiring
> particular scrolling
> mechanisms. It would be perfectly fine for a UA to
> have no scrollbars at
> all and simply allow the element to be scrolled
> using a panning mechanism.

I'll apologize in advance for being a bit of a pain in
the ass on this.

I feel that the working group is inconsistent in
deciding when something should be non-normative, and
when something should be added to the specification to
reflect existing coding practice.

In the case of X11 named colors, it was argued that
the working group was including named colors to
reflect existing practices.  I and many others argued
against including X11 named colors, or at least
deprecating them, because they are a poor,
inconsistent collection of names.  As far as I can
tell, they are still part of the CSS colors module.

While I do respect Ian's rationale for not specifying
where scrollbars lie in the box model, I find this to
be a more necessary thing to have in a specification
than named colors.  Certainly the scrollbar mechanism
in browsers is more well-conceived than X11 colors
with names like Dodger Blue (no offense Dodgers fans).

I'm just looking for some consistency here.  The
working group should be looking to write a spec that
reflects existing practices, or a spec that provides a
well-thought out vision for future development, rather
than both in a nonconsistent manner.

-Dylan
--
Dylan Schiemann