text/html in generated content (was Re: [Fwd: Re: CSS2 "Content"])

On Thursday 2003-04-03 16:18 -0800, Yung-Fong Tang wrote:
> Simon Montagu wrote:
> >Yung-Fong Tang wrote:
> >>the questoin is
> >>
> >>in the :before or :after
> >> the URI point to a ".html" file instead of an image file. I don't
> >>think netscape7 will INSERT that html fragement into the before/after
> >>position, right?

:before and :after are for *stylistic* generated content.  I find it
highly unlikely that a file of type text/html would be stylistic, and
thus I think the specification should explicitly state that, for visual
media, the uri() values for generated content should only be used if the
resource at the URI is an image.  This helps to enforce separation of
content and presentation and makes it clear that a feature that would
add significant complexity to implementations of 'content' is not
required.

If CSS3 has a value for the content property that uses a URI that comes
from an attribute in the source document rather than from the
stylesheet, it might make sense to relax this restriction for such
values.

-David